Perceptual and Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory
Natural perception, Cognition, Brain Representation, Systems Neuroscience
Quantitative understanding of the human brain
Schematics of our approach. We record brain activity evoked by natural perceptual and cognitive experiences and build predictive models. By analyzing the models, we aim at understanding information processing and representation in the brain.
|Shinji Nishimoto (Professor)||nishimoto[at]fbs.osaka-u.ac.jp|
|Kota Sasaki (Assistant Professor)||kota[at]fbs.osaka-u.ac.jp|
|Yu Takagi (Assistant Professor)||yu.takagi[at]fbs.osaka-u.ac.jp|
|Rieko Kubo (Researcher)|
|Masahiro Yamashita (Researcher)|
|Naoto Ichikawa (Technical Staff)|
|Rumiko Miyatake (Technical Staff)|
|Akiko Yamamoto (Technical Staff)|
- ※Change [at] to @
- What is your hot research topic?
- Recent development in machine learning techniques, including deep learning and natural language processing, allow us to build more accurate predictive models of brain activity. Using such technologies, we aim to acquire new quantitative knowledge and interpretations on information processing and representation in the brain.
- What kind of background do your lab members have？
- Our research members (FBS/NICT) have diverse backgrounds, including biophysics, neurophysiology, computer science, psychology, and art.
- Do you collaborate with institutions outside of Osaka Univ.?
- We are collaborating with NICT CiNet (close relation with Osaka University CiNet), University of Tokyo (JST ERATO/Mirai Program), and other research institutes.
Publications (Research Articles, Reviews, Books)
Behavioral correlates of cortical semantic representations modeled by word vectors.
PLoS Computational Biology 17(6):e1009138 2021
Convergence of Modality Invariance and Attention Selectivity in the Cortical Semantic Circuit.
Cerebral Cortex bhab125 2021
Expert Programmers Have Fine-Tuned Cortical Representations of Source Code.
eNeuro 8(1):ENEURO.0405-20.2020. 2021
Correspondence of categorical and feature-based representations of music in the human brain.
Brain and Behavior 11(1):e01936. 2021
Distinct dimensions of emotion in the human brain and their representation on the cortical surface.
Neuroimage 222:117258. 2020
Brain-Mediated Transfer Learning of Convolutional Neural Networks.
Proceedings of the AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 34:5281-5288. 2020
Quantitative models reveal the organization of diverse cognitive functions in the brain.
Nature Communications 11(1):1142. 2020
Our ideal candidate (as a graduate student)
We are looking for a highly motivated person to work on our research topics as our lab members.
Perceptual and Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University,
1-4 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871 Japan.
E-mail: nishimoto[at]fbs.osaka-u.ac.jp (Prof. NISHIMOTO Shinji)
- ※Change [at] to @