Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University


Before Leaving Japan

International Students and Scholars must go through many formalities before leaving Japan. The required procedures are listed below for reference.

Procedures at the University

  • Osaka University ID Card (Student ID)

    Return to the student services office, please.

  • Library Card

    You do not need to return the card. On the other hand, you must make sure to return books you borrowed.

Other procedures

  • National Health Insurance (NHI)

    You must personally bring back your National Health Insurance certificate to the registered city or ward office or an assigned representative to do so on your behalf, after your departure date has been set. After showing some material that proves your flight information, such as an e-ticket, the office will modify the expiration date on your certificate so that the expiration date is set for the date of your departure. You will need to pay the final premiums of your health insurance in cash, as a bill will be issued on the day you bring their NHI certificates to the office. You do not need to return your certificates to your city or ward office. The premiums are paid monthly, so you cannot be accounted for on a pro-rate basis. For example, if you leave Japan on August 2, you will still need to pay the monthly premium for that whole month.

  • Closing a Bank Account

    Bank or post office (JP Bank) accounts (in Japan) have to be closed at your respective service counters. If you have registered for automatic public utility deductions from your account, you must make sure that all debts are paid before closing. If you are scholarship or salary recipient, you must make sure that the last payment is deposited into your accounts before the account is closed. Business hours, Banks: 9 am -3 pm, Japan Post Banks (Yuuco Bank): 9 am - 4 pm.

    • ID, such as the residence card (or alien registration card) or passport
    • Personal seal (INKAN印鑑) (if used when opening the account)
    • Bankbook
  • Residence Card (or Alien Registration Card)

    The residence card should be returned to the immigration officer at the port of departure (e.g. Kansai International Airport) so you should not leave it in their check-in luggage.

  • Others (Cell Phone, PC provider, Electricity, Gas, Water, etc.)

    If you subscribed for a cell phone, Internet, electricity, or gas provider, please be sure you cancel your services before you leave Japan. Further, please make sure that the final payment has been made.