Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University


After Arriving

After arrival

Legal Procedures

  • Notification of placement of residence

    Those who have received a residence card at the port of entry are asked to visit the municipal office where you live within fourteen days of finding a place to settle down. This includes those in possession of a passport stating "A residence card will be issued later" on their arrival. In such case, please be sure to bring your passport to your municipality's office and follow the necessary procedures.

  • National health insurance

    This is a nationwide mutual aid program funded by policyholders' premiums with the aim of alleviating the burden of medical expenses. Local government offices are in charge of its administration. All foreigners(including accompanying family members) who reside legally in Japan longer than three months are required to enroll in this program unless they are enrolled in some other social insurance program, such as that offered at their workplace. If they declare that they had no income in Japan during the previous year, premiums will be reduced by about 60 percent. By paying a premium and presenting their insurance card, policyholders will have to bear 30 percent of the expenses required for medical treatment or hospitalization.

    This insurance covers dental treatment, chronic diseases and childbirth, which may not be covered by general overseas travelers' personal accident insurance.

While enrolled at the graduate school

Entry and Residence in Japan (Visa, Status of Residence)

Residence Card: Permission for Extending Period of Stay

If you wish to extend your permitted term of residence, you must apply for an extension at the immigration office prior to your expiration date. One is allowed to apply starting 3 months prior to the expiration date. Make sure to apply well in advance since the immigration office is very busy? especially in March, April, September and October. After you submit the application form to the immigration office, a notice is sent to the applicant in about 2 weeks. After you receive the notice, you visit the Regional Immigration Office with the notice, passport and 4,000 yen as fee. Then a new residence card with the new expiration date is issued.


Application for Extension of Period of Stay (The application form is available at the Immigration Bureau, or it can be downloaded from the Ministry of Justice homepage. The Support Office also provides it.)
*Organization part of the application has to be made by the Student Services Office.

  • ID Photo (4cm×3cm) Attach on the 1st page of the application
  • Passport, Residence Card (or Alien Registration Card)
  • Student registration certificate, Transcript (In case of a research student; Certificate of the research activities)
  • Document certifying that you have the means to pay for all the expenses incurred during your stay in Japan, such as Bank statement, Certificate of Scholarship etc.
  • Fee: 4,000 yen

*The Immigration Bureau might require other additional documents for the application.

Application Procedures for Conditional Work Permit

International students generally have the resident status of "College Student" which is prescribed for those who are in Japan to receive guidance for education and research. It thereby follows that while in Japan, the activities of such international students are limited to those that correspond to the purpose that is assigned to their visa. If international students with the residential status of "College Student" wish to work, they must obtain a permit for extra activities through Osaka University issued by the Immigration Bureau before they start working. There are two ways to apply for the permit.
  1. Applying through the university (Contact Us: )
  2. Applying in person

Tuition Fees and Tuition Fee Exemption


Dormitory & Flat

Health and medical

the "24 hours Inbound Emergency Support System"

Osaka University decided to implement the "24 hours Inbound Emergency Support System" which provides consultation and advise for accidents, health problems and other accidents might occur in your daily life while your stay in Japan as an Osaka University student.

Consultation is conducted by the telephone and E-mail. This system is offered in 3 languages (English, Chinese and Japanese), please contact to "JAPAN IR&C SUPPORT CENTER" in case when you're involved in any accidents and troubles.

You may use the service when:

  • You are in troubles and don't know how to respond.
  • You are having difficulty solving problems because of language and cultural differences etc.


  • Language: Japanese/English/Chinese
  • TEL (toll-free): 0120-119-075 (daily, 24 hours)
  • E-mail:
    ※Please use E-mail service if you're not in an urgent situation.

※Please note that the telephone dialogues relating to consultation/advice will be automatically recorded for the purpose of maintaining the service quality.

Useful Links